The intrusion of roots into sewer drains is the single most destructive element that blocks drains.
What is a chemical tree root treatment?
It is a combination of herbicides placed in sewer drains as foam to eliminate roots and prevent further structural damage of the sewer pipe caused by live tree roots. Roots are killed and potential blockages are avoided. Only roots within the pipe and a very short distance outside the pipe are affected. Trees and shrubs immediately above ground are not harmed.
How does it work?
It is an herbicide that penetrates root cell walls, bursts them and causes the root to die and decay. A surfactant blend strips away grease and slime from the roots permitting penetration of the formulation into the root mass. A foaming agent provides a durable fine textured ‘vehicle’ to ensure the treatment makes maximum contact with all roots and pipe surfaces. A root growth inhibitor attaches to surface active organic materials to inhibit further root cell division or growth for approximately three years.
Being a licensed operator our qualified technicians can treat sewer lines from household size to main trunk sewer lines for Water Authorities across Australia.
Benefits to Water Authorities
- Foaming root control allows early kill of small roots before they grow large enough to cause structural damage to pipe work.
- Reduces repetitive auger drain cleaning.
- Prolongs the life of the pipe asset and can avoid relining of pipes or complete replacement.
- City sewer maintenance departments will spend less on annual sewer maintenance.
- The number of blockages will decrease.
- Reduced emergency call outs means large cost savings.
- Reduced infiltration, which causes treatment plant overloading.
- Plants and trees are unharmed.
- Reduces blockages in the mains and service laterals reducing public complaints and liability of sewer overflows into homes.
Benefits to the Householder
It is ideal for household sewer drains where roots have been found to be the cause of blockages. Save money in the long term by treating your drain rather than continual drain cleaning which can result in structural damage to your pipes.